Saturday 29 November 2008

Films, films, films

I could probably write a short sitcom based on my rather ridiculous financial situation and the joy of job searching in a city with something like 50% unemployment. As a result I've not been going out a whole lot these last couple of weeks.

On the upside, my two flatmates are awesome and Sophie has a vast collection of films that I've not seen including a lot of Art House films. We've also been renting a films from a rental place nearby.

The films I've watched are:

Godfather 2 & 3
Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Bonnie and Clyde
Burn After Reading

It's a crime that I had not seen the Godfather trilogy and I'd only managed to see the first film (incidentally my favourite) shortly before leaving for Berlin. I thoroughly enjoyed the second film despite it's length. I can see why the third film is generally regarded at the worst of the three, but it's still a solid film. Sofia Coppola should definitely stick to writing and directing though as her acting in Godfather 3 is shamefully bad.

Three of the films I saw this week were by the Cohen Brothers. It would have been four but the DVD of Fargo that I rented was only in German. The Big Lebowski is another film I've been needing to see for a while and it certainly didn't disappoint, very much a Cohen Brothers film. Burn After Reading is a film that is cleverly about nothing, it's good, but not great. Miller's Crossing is a stylish film noir gangster film, which is always good in my books and probably my favourite of the Cohen Brothers films I've seen so far.

Bonnie and Clyde was one of the most violent films when it was made back in 1967 and it's still violent by today's standards. Anyway, it's a very cool film of the romanticised story of the two outlaws and the Barrow Gang.

No comments: