Thursday 9 October 2008

The Apartment Saga

The apartment situation has been a bit up in the air this last week. The floor of the kitchen in Michael’s apartment was supposed to be put in on Monday, but they discovered that the beams have fungus and the floorboards in the hall and possibly Michael’s room need to be removed to get at the beam (Michaels thinks it's a lie though).

Anyway, I already spent Sunday night couch surfing (well floor surfing really) so I wouldn't have to get up insanely early to be out before the builders arrived (plus the hot water had been turned off). I ended up Couch Surfing until Tuesday evening when I was able to get a small room in a five person flatshare in Friedrichshain. I heard about it from Michael's friend Sven as it's in the same building as him. Incidentally Michael has had to stay with Sven since Monday because of the building work.

Today I went to meet Dominike to look at a four room apartment in Kreuzberg. I had also told a 'Yorkshire lass' called Naomi about it also and had arranged to meet her there. When I arrived Domike was there waiting along with a friend, I don't quite remember her name so I'll go with Andrea and her boyfriend.

Anyway, the apartment was really nice, and huge but it was on the ground floor which generally means lots of break-ins. While I do have laptop insurance for my Macbook, I'm certain that my insurers would get pretty annoyed having me claim on it every couple of months.

In the end I doubt I'll end up living with Naomi as she may be going back to England for the winter. I also didn't really get along with Dominike's friend Andrea as she seemed a bit prissy and proper which as a result means it's unlikely I'll end up living with Dominike (as she wants to live with her friend) which is a shame as we get on so well.

Anyway, I like the room I have at the moment and I can stay here a fair few months so there isn't a big pressure to find somewhere any more. This will allow me to find somewhere I really want to stay for the two years I'm here.

No comments: