Thursday 9 October 2008

Jazz Club

I've enjoyed listening to Jazz for a few years now and I've long wanted to go to a proper Jazz Club somewhere. On Monday night I did just that. I met up with a few Couch Surfers near Rosenthaler Platz station in Prenzlauerberg (or possibly Freidrichshain). One of them, an American student called Navi then took us on the tram to an underground Jazz Club nestled in-between some rather bland looking modern office buildings, an unlikely place for such such a venue.

DSCN2370.JPG

As we neared the entrance, and the faint sound of jazz wafted up the stairs I knew this was going to be an enjoyable evening. Inside there was an eclectic mix of odd sculptures and contraptions:

DSCN2369.JPG

DSCN2360.JPG

DSCN2368.JPG

The band were already playing as we went in so we sat down at a table and the waitress came over and took the orders for our drinks (this is one of the German customs I'm growing to like a lot).

DSCN2362.JPG

The band consisted of a guitar, trumpet, double bass, drums and a saxophone. They played a range of songs, now and again one of them would solo which would draw applause and cheers from the crowd. As I was enjoying some of the best live Jazz I've heard in a long time, I was looking through the programme for the club. As well as free live Jazz every Monday there is also a free Blues night every Thursday. I didn't manage to get to it this week, but I'll definitely be looking into it some time soon.

Around midnight the music finished and we took a stroll back to the U-Bahn station and somehow Diana and I managed to take the train going in the wrong direction, then after getting off we realised that we could've stayed on and gotten another tube train further along. We ended up having to get a tram (which run much later than the tube) which took 45 minutes to get back.

I've made so many errors navigating the transport system here now, I see it more as 'exploring' than just going the wrong way.

No comments: