Tuesday 7 October 2008

Weekend in Berlin

On Friday Berlin was also celebrating the reunification of Berlin with even more and bigger parties. The one I attended was near the Reichstag. A German TV channel was filming the concert, which had such famous acts as ‘Ich und Ich’ and ‘Scooter’. That’s right, the one and only Scooter. He came on stage, talked a load of gibberish in English, and did two ‘songs’ (I use that word loosely) neither of which were the two anyone outside of Germany will have heard, in which he tended to just repeat the words ‘hardcore’ and ‘techno’. The event itself was good, there were stands selling German food and alcohol. This included the traditional German ‘Gluvine’ a spicy, heated red wine that was actually quite nice. As well as a couple of varieties of sausage (wurst) I ate a cheese pretzel, which as you can see I thoroughly enjoyed:

SDC10072.JPG

On Saturday night there was a big Couch Surfing (I’ll assume that people have Googled this and know what it is form now on) meetup. I arrived early to go with a few people to eat at a local vegetarian restaurant. All I’ll say is that it was so good, I’m not actually sure if I was eating an actual meat burger or a veggie burger, so thumbs up from me.

The meetup itself was held in a bar in Freidrichshain called Die Tagung which was way too small for the 100+ people that turned up (apparently there are 10,000 couch surfers in Berlin). I got talking to a lot of people, one of which was from a town just South of SHEFFIELD. We had a long conversation, Yorkshire accents and all, it was ‘reyt good’. At one point the other guy turned to a German girl next to us and said ‘Do you understand anything we are saying?’ she simply shook her head.

No comments: