Thursday 2 October 2008

Say 'Yes' More

Slightly worse for wear, my message for today is say 'Yes' more.

An odd message perhaps, so I'll explain. A few weeks ago my Mum gave me a book called 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace (shown below).

I can't really do this book justice by describing it myself so I copied the synopsis from Amazon:
"I, Danny Wallace, being of sound mind and body, do hereby write this manifesto for my life. I swear I will be more open to opportunity. I swear I will live my life taking every available chance. I will say Yes to every favour, request, suggestion and invitation. I will swear to say yes where once i would say no.' Danny Wallace had been staying in. Far too much. Having been dumped by his girlfriend, he really wasn't doing the young, free and single thing very well. Instead, he was avoiding people. Texting them instead of calling them. Calling them instead of meeting them. That is until that one fateful date when a mystery man on a late-night bus told him to 'Say Yes more'. These three simple words changed Danny's life forever. "Yes Man" is the story of what happened when Danny decided to say yes to everything, in order to make his life more interesting. And boy, did it get more interesting. "Danny Wallace does things few other people would and writes about them in ways that few people could. He's as funny as Bill Bryson used to be." - Nicholas Barber, "Independent on Sunday".
Suffice to say, this book was a real eye opener for me and I've been trying to be more open to things since, which meant a pretty decent last 2-3 weeks in Sheffield, which ended in a Vegan BBQ of all things.

Anyway, yesterday I was going to be spending the evening alone as Michael was working until 10pm. Not liking that prospect I posted up on the Berlin Couch Surfer (if you don't know what Couch Surfing is, get out your cave and Google it) group asking if anyone was interested in going for a drink.

A while later a Russian girl rang me and arranged to meet me at 7:30 at the tube station near where I'm staying. A few minutes later a Czech girl rang and arranged to meet us once we'd found a bar. After meeting up with the Russian girl, Diana (who had moved to Berlin the same day as me) we headed to a bar that I'd been to before called Luzia. We stayed and chatted for a while then moved on to a small creperie which not only had really nice crepes but had Belgian beer (a rarety as the Germans really don't like the fact that Belgian beer is better) but was also playing the soundtrack from Amelie. Very French.

Zuzana the Czech girl who has only been in Berlin since Monday then joined us and after another round we headed to Que Pasa (the staff didn't speak Spanish, big surprise) a cocktail bar and had a cocktail each. I had a Tequila Sunrise, perhaps not the best but I couldn't find anything straight that I liked the sound of. After sending Zuzana the wrong way home, ringing her and pointing her in the right direction, Diana and I went for one last drink at some bar I don't remember the name of.

As I walked back to the apartment I had two text messages in my inbox. One from a German girl who I'd spoken to before coming to Berlin about a flatshare, arranging to meet me today in Freidrichshein and another from a girl from Yorkshire asking about sharing an apartment (in response to my posts on Couch Surfing) I said I'd call her today.

So, an evening of sitting at home along turned into a sociable night out.

All from saying 'Yes' more.

No comments: