Thursday 2 October 2008

Learning the language, cheating the system

I've been only 4 days and I'm already cheating the German benefit system, quite an achievement I'd say.

I think I'd better explain. In Berlin students and people earning under €16,000 can apply for a 'WBS' form which allows them to live in the cheap apartments, which most landlords will ask for. With the help of a fellow Couch Surfer Dominike I was able to get one because I'm now a 'student' of Hartnackshule language school. This involved a small degree of lying which the woman dealing with us seemed more than happy to do on our behalf.

This is quite fortunate as Dominike found a film student who was looking to rent out the two rooms of her apartment who is asking for this form. She had already offered one of the rooms to Dominike who had said she'd think about it earlier in the week. I emailed this girl today saying that we'd both be interested in living there if the room is still free. So hopefully I may now have somewhere to live. If not, I received an email from someone else who I'd contacted yesterday (at least something good came from it).

I mentioned that I'd applied to a language school, which I managed to find after a large amount of walking in circles around the area around the tube station it was near to. Classes are every weekday between 12:30 and 3:30 (there was a 9am class, but there's no way I'm getting up that early). The term is 6 months but I've got a contract for 2 months so if I don't like it I can easily stop (I have some clever ideas from time to time).

Anyway, after going early the language school and hanging out with Dominike this afternoon I'm now pretty tired, and still a little hungover. But there are parties to go tonight so I need to decide which one to go to and then call some people.

I get the feeling I'll be having a lie in tomorrow.

No comments: